Monday, April 4, 2011

why you look at the label on canned goods....

So I have this recipe (I was given it printed out and have no idea who to credit for it) for creamy tomato soup that I've modified and tweaked so it isn't as much, "if I eat this I'll gain a trillion pounds in one sitting".

Creamy Basil Tomato Soup
-2 cans tomato soup
-equal amount (or as close as possible) of stewed tomatoes
-2 tomato cans worth of milk (or half 'n half)
-cream cheese (this is where I cut back- the original calls for 1 package, I use 2-4 Tbsp depending on how fat I feel)
-2 Tbsp butter (again- this is supposed to be a whole stick!)
-black pepper and garlic powder to taste
-2 Tbsp basil (or italian seasoning)

Dump all ingredients into soup pot and use your Cuisinart Immersion Hand Blender to mix it all. (Seriously- this is the best invention for creamed soups. You don't have to transfer the whole pot to a food processor and end up dumping half the soup on the floor.) Cook on med until hot. Do not boil. Serve with mozzarella cheese and ritz crackers.

So good. Promise me you'll look at the cans before you dump it into the pot. The last time I made this I only had one can of stewed tomatoes (which are necessary rather than plain diced tomatoes) so I figured I go half and half and use some plain diced tomatoes. I accidently grabbed the diced tomatoes with chilies in them that I use for making salsa. It was HOT. Oops. Aaron ate it like a man though.


1 comment:

Mr T said...

It one of my favourites - yummy.

I prefer this way of cooking though:

http://www.baxters.com/products/italian-tomato-with-basil.html