Friday, February 4, 2011

no kneading bread and turkey?!

I've been trying to try new recipe's as Aaron is getting bored of my present one week rotation (I'll admit it- so am I). Here's the bread recipe that I made last night, it's from his Grandma (I think) anyway, I got it from the family cookbook my sister-in-law made me and it seems like the same kind his Grandma makes.

Peasant Bread
-1 pkg active dry yeast
-2 cups warm water, divided
-4 cups all-purpose flour
-2 t. salt
-1 T. sugar
-1 T. butter or marg., melted
-1 T. poppy seeds (optional- I didn't have them so I used sesame seeds)

Dissolve yeast in one cup warm water. In large bowl, combine flour salt and sugar. Add the yeast mixture and remaining water; stir until combined. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about one hour. Stir dough down. Divide in half. Place each half in a greased 1 qt. round casserole or ovenproof bowl. (I didn't have two of them so I used one 1 qt casserole and one 1.5 qt glass bread pan.) Brush tops with butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from pans; serve warm (!!!) if desired. Makes 2 loaves.

EDIT: If you are lazy (like some of Grandma's other relatives:P) skip the first step and go directly from the initial mixing to the loaf pans. Let rise 45 minutes and bake as directed only put a bowl of water in the oven with the loaves.

Apple/Cranberry Turkey Breast

I got this recipe from a "Companies Coming" Book. Slice two apples and lay in the bottom of a slow cooker, dump and spread a can of whole cranberries on top (I only had crushed), place thawed bone in turkey breast on top and rub with gravy browner. Cook on high for 4-4.5 hours or low for 8-9 hours. Serves 6. (I had looked on the internet and they suggest cooking for 1 hour on high and 7 on low. I did this but it was done sooner as per the meat thermometer.)

Anyway- I've never had turkey in the slow cooker before and it was so moist. I liked the taste but it was sweet, probably if you like cranberries with your turkey you'd like it and if you don't you won't!

No pictures. We were too busy eating. And the leftovers looked like- well- leftovers.

No comments: